HBHS wins the Moascar Cup
The HBHS 1st XV has returned from Rotorua with the schoolboy rugby equivalent of the Ranfurly Shield, after beating a tough Rotorua Boys' High School team 28-19. The Moascar Cup has a storied history, hailing back to the end of WWI, where British, Australian and New Zealand troops cleared a patch of desert in Egypt to play a rugby tournament.
The New Zealand Mounted Rifle Unit claimed victory, and the trophy was constructed, using a cup and a German fighter plane propellor as a base. Christchurch Boys' High School became the first school to win the trophy in 1920, and HBHS would have to wait until 1978 to claim it, after beating Mount Albert Grammar. It was another long wait before HBHS could again claim the Moascar Cup, and in the Top 4 semi-finals in 2008, it headed to Hamilton for the second time, only to be reclaimed by Mount Albert Grammar in the Top 4 final in 2010. HBHS won the trophy back again in 2013 during the traditional Auckland Grammar Winter Exchange in an incredibly tense 27-26 match, but Auckland Grammar returned the following year to take it back up north. HBHS will now face Napier Boys' High School this Saturday the 2nd of July in our first defence of the trophy on the Number 1 Rugby Field.